Monday, October 15, 2012

Crates

Crate-training my dogs has saved me in a few situations. I strongly recommend getting your dog used to being in a crate, especially when they are puppies.

Elli never liked her crate as a puppy. I would keep her in there during the night. She would bark, and growl, and scratch at the door to get out. I think she made a fuss about being left alone in her crate because she knew there were people in the house that would pay attention to her. But, she never had an accident in the night. So for house training the crate worked well.

Reilly never made a fuss about being in the crate at night. He just went in, got a cookie and went to sleep. He would only make noise if he had to go out. I would let him out in the backyard, just to go to the washroom never to play, and then right back in the crate he went until it was time to wake up.

Since both dogs are now house trained we use the crates for other purposes.

Elli had to have back surgery this past year (more on that later). Part of her recovery was strict crate rest. She wasn't too pleased about that. She was in the larger crate we have for Reilly, so at least she had enough room. She only lasted in that crate for a few days. At the same time, we discovered another use for the crate. She now uses her crate in the car as a car seat. This keeps her from moving around the car while I'm driving. Surprisingly, she actually seems to like being in her crate in the car. This experience has taught me that you never know when you might need to place your dog in a crate. It makes things easier if they are already used to it.

Reilly is still having a bit of trouble when he's left on his own. He always manages to find something to get into. At least the things he destroys are getting smaller. A Ziplock baggie opposed to a couch cushion. To save some worry when I walk in the front door Reilly stays in his crate when he has to be home alone. Luckily this isn't very often,  he usually goes to his babysitter's during the day. We do try leaving him out every once in awhile. Sometimes he does okay, but sometimes he gets into trouble. He actually seems to enjoy being in his crate. He goes in as soon as I say "crate", and isn't barking to get out when I get home. When I go to let him out, he stretches and yawns from his peaceful nap. One day (hopefully soon!) I would like to be able to leave him out all the time without having to worry, but he's not quite there yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment